EMOM, an acronym for Every Minute On the Minute, this training approach involves completing a designated set of exercises within a minute, followed by rest until the next round begins. EMOMs offer a wide array of benefits and can be tailored to suit individual goals and fitness levels. In this article, we will delve into the reasons behind the popularity of EMOMs and provide valuable tips on effectively incorporating them into your workout routine.article, we'll explore why EMOMs are widely used and provide some tips on how to effectively incorporate them into your workouts.
Why Choose EMOMs?
- Skill Development: EMOMs are an excellent tool for building skills. Rather than attempting complex movements in the midst of a high-intensity workout, EMOMs allow athletes to practice and refine their skills in a controlled environment. By focusing on specific movements during each minute, athletes can gradually improve their technique and proficiency.
- Controlled Work and Rest: As a coach, programming EMOMs provides you with precise control over an athlete's work, rest, and fatigue. Unlike traditional timed workouts where completion times may vary widely, EMOMs ensure consistent work-to-rest ratios. This control allows for better intensity management and facilitates targeted skill development.
- Time Efficiency: If you tend to linger between exercises or take extended rest periods, EMOMs can help optimize your training time and increase your overall work capacity. By letting the clock dictate your work and rest intervals, you're encouraged to maintain a more focused and efficient pace. Even using EMOMs as part of a warm-up routine can help streamline your gym sessions.
Building Volume with EMOMs
EMOMs provide a safe and effective means of gradually increasing training volume. Athletes can start with shorter time domains to get accustomed to the workload before progressing to longer and more challenging EMOMs. Once an athlete has adapted to the increased volume, the format can be modified to include both EMOM and "for time" components. This combination allows for volume accumulation during the EMOM portion and challenges athletes to sustain speed and intensity during the "for time" segment. By incorporating higher volume workouts, athletes can enhance their capacity while maintaining or improving their performance.
Conditioning with EMOMs
For those familiar the infamous 30-minute EMOMs are known to test mental fortitude and physical limits. These workouts can push you to your limits, but with the right mindset, you can conquer them. Here are some strategies to approach EMOMs effectively:
- Take It One Minute at a Time: Rather than focusing on the entire workout duration, break it down into manageable segments. Concentrate on the movements and the amount of rest you have in each minute. By adopting this approach, you can stay present and motivated throughout the session.
- Be Your Own Cheerleader: EMOMs require mental toughness. Avoid dwelling on the difficulty or anticipating future challenges, as these thoughts can undermine your motivation. Instead, maintain a positive mindset and provide yourself with encouraging reinforcement. Ignore negative self-talk and focus on empowering thoughts
- Identify Your Resting Minute: Many EMOM workouts have one minute that can serve as your "resting minute." Analyze the workout and identify which station or exercise allows for a brief recovery. Embrace this minute fully and use it wisely. Stand tall, take deep breaths, and mentally prepare for the upcoming round. Avoid dwelling on how challenging the workout feels and make the most of your rest.
- Know When to Push and When to Glide: Different exercises demand different approaches within an EMOM. Some tasks require an all-out effort to complete within the allotted time, while others benefit from a steadier pace to prevent excessive fatigue. Assess each exercise and determine the most effective strategy for maximizing your performance. Push hard when needed, but also find moments to maintain a moderate and sustainable effort.
Developing Mental Fortitude
EMOMs not only improve physical fitness but also cultivate mental resilience. Like any acquired skill, mental fortitude takes practice. Whether you're tackling a grueling metcon or facing challenges in life, focusing on what you can control is crucial. Set small goals throughout your workout, avoid overwhelming yourself, and approach each challenge with confidence and determination. Combining a strong mindset with a strategic game plan can make a world of difference in your performance. When approaching EMOM workouts, remember to stay present, cultivate a positive mindset, and strategically balance your efforts. With practice, you'll not only conquer EMOMs but also develop mental fortitude that extends beyond the gym.